Sunday, May 4, 2008

"Grey's" coded, even with Addison back in town

Perhaps my use of "coded" in the title of this entry is as painful as Izzie's use of the word? Ok, painful maybe, but not as awkward.

In response to the previous post, people did not tune in on Thursday night. Some NBC comedies were on par or up from last week ("30 Rock" "Scrubs" and "Earl") while others were down ("The Office"). CBS's "CSI" was up from last week while "Trace" remained the same. There's still time before the dvr numbers for last week are available which is when shows will obviously see some increases. Based on Live+SD (Same Day) ratings for this week's episode,
"Ugly" and "Grey's" did worse than last week which gives them all new lows. I don't think that looks too good in a press release! Of course "Grey's" can still claim to be the #1 show for the night in Adults 18-49 so they have that going for them. I watched the episode that night and liked it (I didn't start it until 10:30ish). Liked, not loved. That is better than earlier this season and last when I hated almost everything. I was nervous going in thinking the episode will probably be my favorite of the past year and a half due to Addison's return. I am one of those fans who weren't happy to see her "spun-off." I miss the character on "Grey's;" "Private Practice" is not as smart, therefore Addison doesn't come across as smart on the spin-off. She is even a bit ditzy on the new show and I hate that about smart characters. But I'm getting lost here since this isn't about "Private."

"Grey's" seems to have a real problem right now. Addison came back, with lots of promotion from ABC and it wasn't enough to boost the ratings. What will happen in the fall? I still believe that's when viewers will come back. I don't think the ratings will be what they were in season two, but I really don't think they will remain this low. For all of the shows on all of the networks, I think there will be a boost. Although I wouldn't mind FOX posting lows with its lineup if it sticks to silly game shows.

Shonda Rhimes said the writers all watched hours of old episodes before starting on this "season 4 part two." Were they watching season 3? Because that wasn't so great. They need to go back and watch the first two seasons. I think there are three episodes left and I'll still stay on board for the ride. I do like all things McSteamy; he cracks me up every episode. But I swear, give me some good stuff or I am coding on this show.
--

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

every show has its time. greys peaked in season 2. its ratings peaked in mid season 3.. no, i dont believe the ratings will come back, even in the fall. sadly, i think greys already had its peak.

Carolyn said...

I agree, Grey's has seen its peak. But I think the ratings will be better next year than they are currently. Viewership is always down during the spring. They certainly won't have mid season 3 numbers.
I wish shows wouldn't peak so early these days. I guess that's why you hear writers say they are glad their show wasn't the "It" show. By coming in under the radar they actually benefit. The creator of NCIS recently talked about that in the magazine Watch! (CBS). That is one of the few shows that can even hold its own against Idol.