Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Podcasts…and they are free.

Who knew about this and more importantly why didn’t you tell me? You should be ashamed of yourself. Ashamed, capital A. I would tell you if I thought you didn’t know about something cool. Like Full House having a reunion movie this May? Ok, that’s not true (sorry to disappoint), but I think I got my point across. One shares news others would totally enjoy. Anywho, I recently discovered (on my own, ahem) that iTunes has a butt load of podcasts which happen to be free. They range from learning a foreign language (Hallo!) to podcasts with writers to podcasts about planting a garden to all things political and the list goes on and on. So go to iTunes, click podcasts and have a blast. Below I’ve noted some tips, complete with little stories, anecdotes if you will, that will help make the experience an enjoyable one:

1. If you are at work and have your headphones plugged directly into the hard drive, always make sure to remove said headphones from your ears before standing up and walking out of your cubicle. If you have an office, why are you using headphones? I was listening to a podcast with Tina Fey discussing the success of 30 Rock when I stood up and went to grab something from the printer and CRAP. I was still plugged in. The hard drive won by yanking the headphones from my ears. Ouch.

2. You control the podcast. That means you can play, pause and stop whenever you feel like it. So, if you’re say, I don’t know, totally engrossed in the tales of Aline Brosh McKenna discussing her adaptation of the book, The Devil Wears Prada, for the big screen, you can pause the podcast and go to the bathroom. Do not let a bladder infection take form while you worry about what you’ll miss. Just hit pause and upon your return hit play. And remember tip 1 before leaving the cubicle to begin the journey to the bathroom.

3. I don’t know that I have a third tip per se. But like Pheobe said on Friends, things are better when 3-fold. I suppose a 3 could be - don’t worry about your work suffering from the podcast. Take it from me. I have been able to get more work done and I believe it’s because I’m not getting up to chat with people and therefore wasting time. I have new friends right there in my ears. Lovely lovely conversations are taking place while I get my work done



Did anyone see “The Good Witch” on The Hallmark Channel? It was rather cute. It was Hallmark so to expect something profound like “And The Band Played On” is silly on the part of the viewer. Sometimes a movie is there for your entertainment. If you have a chance to see it go ahead and watch. It’s the perfect Saturday afternoon-cup of hot chocolate-wrapped in a blanket-on a couch-too cold to venture outside-kind of movie.


And one more thing, I’ve been re-watching Felicity. No it’s not back on WE, but I have the dvds. I’m only halfway thru season 1, but still a Noel girl. Ben is hott, but still scares me. I always chose Brandon over Dylan. Ok, Steve over both. Go ahead and judge. My point? I was never into the bad boys. Unless you’re a pseudo bad boy from Chino ;) Did anyone else pick Noel? Or were you all Ben girls?


It’s late and I need to get ready for bed. I do need to be alert tomorrow because it’s podcast German day! I’ll be bilingual in no time! And at no cost to me. Love it.


Again, sorry about the Full House thing.


Thanks for reading.
auf Wiedersehen!

1 comment:

Kristen Robbins Warren said...

Ben. always. but you knew that:)

and, what is going on with our favorite boy from chino? is he working on anything in the entertainment realm? or moving to brooklyn, perhaps?