Thursday, April 24, 2008

Grey’s is back – Yes, you should tune in




I admit to never seeing the last few episodes of season three. I was pissed with almost every story being told. It’s rare that I won’t stick with a show. I think I was so burned by the latest trend of writers turning their backs on their shows that I wasn’t ready to wait for it to return to its glory days (which weren’t so long ago). I still feel as though it’s a load of bull for the writer to ask the viewers to trust him/her and the journey he/she is sending the characters on. If you have to plead with your viewers for their trust, you are (usually) making a mistake. We like the characters just the way they are. Sure, let them grow and evolve as people over time, but don’t go totally changing who they are. Friends was on for 10 years and Rachel was still spoiled in the end; she simply matured, which was right.

Back to Grey’s….I thought for a long, long time that Shonda Rhimes could do no wrong. I even wondered if Crossroads, starring Britney Spears, was so horrible because of the acting, but really had a good story in there…somewhere? I didn’t go back and watch again, so for now I’ll still rank it on par with Glitter. I love the writer’s blog for Grey’s and feel as though Shonda, her writing team and I would be awesome friends. They believe the characters are real, talk about them that way and with such passion. I longed to sit in that writer’s room and just listen. Then Shonda and the writers gave us season three and it got worse and worse. Everything just seemed off. Who were these people and where were my friends? The ferry crash and Meredith “dying” was the final straw. Don’t play with me like that. I knew Meredith wasn’t going to die so I felt manipulated. And in the end, there was no great pay off. Addison, a character whom I grew to love, was removed from the show. I’m sure I’m confusing the order of when things took place, but George and Callie getting married was stupid; too far out of character for both of them. The show was messy and I felt like it lost its heart.

Then for reasons unknown, I started to dvr season four. I didn’t love what I was seeing – George and Izzie still “going strong.” I couldn’t stand scenes with those two. It clearly wasn’t working. The mess was still there and no clean up in sight. But I still dvr’d and would tune in while folding clothes over the weekend. I discovered that I liked all of the scenes that had the male characters bonding. As the season progressed, Bailey’s story – dealing with her marriage, work, and being a mom - was getting better. Callie and Izzie had that awesome confrontation in the cafeteria which made me start to like them again. The heart and the humor of the show seemed to be (slowly) creeping back into the episodes. George, eh. Maybe he’ll win me over again. I can’t forget Meredith “dying” but I do want to see what will become of her relationship with McDreamy. Erica not being won over by McSteamy has made for some hilarious scenes. McSteamy is hotter than ever when he’s being turned down. Alex is a jerk again which is how I like my Alex. Christina has been consistent in my eyes (remember, I missed a few episodes last season.) Slowly but surely, the show was getting back to its roots – telling good stories each week and once again, I was caring about most, almost all, of the characters.

Tonight we get what Shonda is calling, “Grey’s Anatomy, Season 4, Part 2.” Five episodes that feel like “a separate season.” I read a TV Guide Guest Column (linked at the end) by Shonda which has restored my faith in her and the show. I trust in her ability to bring back the characters I have grown to love. I want Grey’s to once again be appointment television- turn the phone off, keep the laptop closed and let the laundry pile up! I don’t need crazy stunts and action like movie sequences. I like the drama between the characters. I love their personal struggles to succeed in their chosen profession while attempting to build a life outside of work which consists of friendships, building relationships and just surviving the day.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/080424-01

--

1 comment:

Kristen Robbins Warren said...

you *so* need to be a television writer.