Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Pilot Casting (actress)

Sometimes I feel like blogging is just me talking out loud…to me. Which is nice. I so rarely disagree with myself. Usually, I find me to be quite witty and smart; occasionally a bit moody if I haven’t had enough sleep. Not brain surgeon smart, but other kinds of smart. Seriously, brain surgery? Why would anyone even want to? But God bless those who do!

Today I’ve decided to share the conversation that’s been in my head the past few days. No not the one about resolving the feud between LC and Spencer & Heidi (please, finding a way to get the price of a barrel of oil under $100 would be easier!) This conversation of course relates to television. Hey, I’m paid to work in the medium so I figure any time spent thinking about it is just going to help further my career. Riiight. So. The dialogue in my head is about pilot season - shows picked up and the casting being done. Recently I caught the Hallmark Movie “Daniel’s Daughter” starring Laura Leighton. Yes, that Laura Leighton – Sydney Andrews from Melrose Place. Back to “Daniel’s Daughter,” she was really good in the movie where she portrayed a woman, Cate Madighan, whose father passes away and she must go back to her small hometown to deal with his requests. I’d tell more about the movie, but that can totally be its own blog entry one day. For now, I’ll let the focus remain on Laura Leighton. This weekend I caught the Lifetime Movie “Love Notes” which she starred in as a successful classical music critic who gets pregnant after a one night stand with a country singer. I was again impressed by her acting. I imdb’d and learned that Laura Leighton has popped up as a guest star on a few series dramas the past two seasons – Boston Legal, Shark, Law & Order: SVU, CSI: Miami (even co starred in “Eyes” on ABC a few years back).

All of that being said, she’s my pick for an actress who should be grabbed for a pilot being made right now. I know they haven’t all been cast (many are still presentations as I type) so for all of the casting people reading this blog….sign her up! Oh wait, no casting people read this blog? Ah well, hopefully someone gets her to sign on for something. She stands out in all of the recent stuff she’s done and when she's the star, she proves she deserves the role. If TV movies aren’t your thing, watch her 2-part Boston Legal episode if you need reassurance. And I for one get a kick out of Sydney when I watch the Melrose repeats over the weekend.

Tomorrow, the actor I feel should be attached to a pilot for next season.
--

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with you about Laura Leighton. It would be such a big shame for her to not be cast as a lead in anything for the pilot season.

Her stint alone in Boston Legal should give her something good to get her teeth into!

Carolyn said...

Glad I'm not alone in my thinking! I'm still trying to come up with a male actor I want to see come the fall. I was leaning towards Scott Wolf as my pick, but then remembered he was on Everwood and then last season on The Nine. I suppose I can still pick him and hope he gets something with staying power (unlike The Nine).