Tuesday, July 1, 2008

ABC Family - A New Kind of Family

Teen pregnancy is contagious. I learned that from the movie "For Keeps" starring Molly Ringwald. I suppose there's truth to it if you read about the 17 pregnant teens in Gloucester, Massachusetts. Seriously, they made a pact to get pregnant and then raise their babies together. What were they thinking? I love my niece and nephew, but it sure is nice to go home after a long sticky night of outdoor play at a carnival. Cotton candy is messy. Cotton candy in a toddler's hair is for the mom to deal with.

Back to Molly, she co-stars in ABC Family's premiere of "The Secret Life of the American Teenager." In the preview she's telling her daughter to go and be a teen and have fun. Little does she know, that teen had her some fun and is now pregnant. The teen daughter is played by Shailene Woodley who was the original Caitlin Cooper on The O.C. She wasn’t around much, always out riding China the pony with alopecia, but being able to say she was on a hit teen drama gives her some street cred when moving to a new teen drama, of sorts. I’m still trying to earn my street cred. Josie Bisset earned hers as Jane on my new favorite summer rerun show Melrose Place. Now she's playing a mom of another teen in this drama. Not sure who else is in the cast? I haven't imdb'd it since I read the pilot script a few months back and it still hadn't been cast.

The show is from Brenda Hampton who introduced us all to the Camdens. I for one never got into that show. I couldn't even watch it for fun like way too many of my friends did. I mean, friends you'd never think would watch 7th Heaven were 100% addicted to the show. Friends who go to Pearl Jam concerts. I just can't explain it, but I know it had a big following of people who watched, but were hesitant to admit they watched. Then it would come out at a party and someone else would whisper they watch it too and next thing you know, there's a circle of friends discussing Matt, Simon and their girlfriends. Along with the new kid living in the Camden home. But that's over now (after 10 years and 2 finales) and we have a new show from Brenda Hampton. I read the pilot script a few months ago and thought it was lacking in teenage speak and behavior. Those things can be easily fixed, but based on a few reviews I’ve read I don’t think they were fixed for the pilot but I'm going to check it out anyway. I'll share more thoughts after I've watched the pilot. I want to give it a fair chance even if my feelings are already iffy, at best.

Below are some links. Yesterday I did a quick google search and most articles talk about ABC Family has a whole reinventing itself. They’re interesting so go ahead, click and read if you have time or want to waste time before 5:00 rolls around. TV Gal (last link) has a review and I think my feelings are aligned with hers. I'm sure there are actual show reviews available today since the premiere is tonight.

'Secret Life' of ABC Family won't be kept quiet

No comments: