Friday, July 18, 2008

I know it’s Friday, I’m still staying in tonight


That’s right. File it under, “You know you’re a grown-up when…” This has been an exhausting week, both physically and mentally. I took up power walking/jogging (kinda) and I’m sore in areas that I’m hoping will simply “unsore” themselves. I also learned this week that having an interest (television writing) outside of my current career (television research) makes my boss nervous. So I’ve been informed by my supervisor. I had to share the outside interest in order to make contacts. Sigh. That’s about all I can say about that. I don’t tell my supervisor or boss that I blog, but Boss hates Facebook, MySpace and all the other sites. Boss even checks potential employees for pages on the aforementioned sites before hiring anyone. That was news Boss shared during a happy hour one night. Before we all returned to cubicle land the next morning all of our social networking sites had the privacy features tweaked!

Back to not going out on a Friday. It’s actually becoming more acceptable. It’s like my friends and I all hit the age where we no longer need to make up an excuse for bailing on a Friday night (I’ve got conjunctivitis, gross yeah, sorry, but I’ll be fine for Saturday night. It’s a 24 hour pink eye. Yeah, weird). These days I’m honest, I went out on Tuesday night and that killed my week. I don’t even feel guilty that I need to pass on Saturday night’s adventures because I already agreed to watch my niece and nephew. I not only look forward to hanging with them, but I welcome a Saturday night of puzzles, coloring, air hockey, puppet show, tea party, baking cookies and settling down to watch a Care Bear movie and maybe even Ratatouille, if the kids can keep me awake that long. I did make plans to see a movie Sunday night, but not too late since it is a school night after all.

Truth be told, I’d make myself go out for at least one glass of wine and dinner with a small group of friends tonight if not for all of the plans I have next week. My sister and I are headed to the Mets game on Wednesday night, a concert in Jersey (oy) on Thursday night, a concert nearer to home on Friday night with our older sister and our mom and then the older sister’s bridal shower on Saturday. That’s freaken exhausting. There’s also a graduation party on Saturday night. It’s going to be a week, that’s for sure. Especially since the week after I have to head to Florida on a business trip. Who doesn’t love Florida at the end of July? Ugh.

What do I have planned for tonight? So glad you asked! Eggo waffles, some chapters of a good book, some TV and just maybe, a glass of wine. I honestly do plan on writing for a chunk of time this weekend. It’s time to get things done or change my goals. And really, doesn’t just the mention of changing goals sound like I’ll be too exhausted to ever go out at night again?

1 comment:

Rached said...

Carolyn, I love your blog! I particularly LOVE the current entry!