Thursday, July 17, 2008

Emmy Nominations

A few years back I was all kinds of annoyed when cable was sneaking in and grabbing Emmy nominations. Why did they have to go and cancel the damn Cable Ace Awards? But these days, I congratulate the cable nominees. The cable shows have stepped up to the plate while networks put crappy reality show after crappy reality show on the air. That being said, I still ‘heart’ network television and not just because my paycheck comes from a network. There are some really awesome network shows currently airing and coming this fall. We'll get into that before the fall season premieres. These days, I simply believe, the more quality TV on all of the outlets out there, the better for us viewers and hopeful writers.

The nominees:

Outstanding Drama
Boston Legal
Damages
Dexter
House
Lost
Mad Men

Outstanding Comedy
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Entourage
The Office
30 Rock
Two and a Half Men

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series
Battlestar Galactica (Six Of One) Written By Michael Angeli
Damages (Pilot) Written By Todd A. Kessler, Glenn Kessler, Daniel Zelman,
Mad Men (Pilot) Written By Matthew Weiner
Mad Men (The Wheel) Written By Matthew Weiner, Robin Veith
The Wire (30) Story By Ed Burns, Teleplay By/Story By David Simon

Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series
30 Rock (Rosemary's Baby) Written By Jack Burditt
30 Rock (Cooter) Written By Tina Fey
Flight Of The Conchords (Yoko) Written By James Bobin, Jemaine Clement, Bret McKenzie
Pushing Daisies (Pie-Lette) Written By Bryan Fuller
The Office (Dinner Party) Written By Lee Eisenberg, Gene Stupnitsky

My thoughts in list form….
-- Go Tina Fey!
-- I wish Brothers & Sisters got a best drama nom. I guess I’d remove Dexter from the list and that’s not really fair because I’ve never watched Dexter, but these are my thoughts
-- Are the best dramas on cable? No network dramas received writing nods. Friday Night Lights wasn’t as great this year, but there was an episode or two that I would put on my list
-- Speaking of, no Friday Night Lights for best drama or actor(s). Darn. Although they did get a nomination for best casting which kinda rocks
-- Calista didn’t get a nomination which saddens me because she’s really awesome as Kitty. I’m glad Sally and Rachel made the cut. I do love the Walkers.
-- Curb is still on the air?
-- No Grey’s. Now can the people responsible for the show please use this as a wake up call to make the show as good as it was in the beginning?
-- No Desperate Housewives which I assume would go under comedy. I came back this season after giving up mid way through season two and I find the show to be over the top hilarious, in the best way possible. Marcia Cross kills me.

-- Mad Men and Damages are the first basic cable shows to get best drama nominations
-- 30 Rock set a new record for comedy series with 17 nominations. I so want to be Tina Fey when I grow up which has to happen kinda soon
-- Yeah Pushing Daisies!!
-- I know it’s Lifetime but Army Wives really was a very well written show last year. It’s good this year, but last year was kick ass good

-- I only discovered House this season, but I'm pulling for the show!
-- One Tree Hill, overlooked again. The hell?? I kid. Poor CW. Maybe next year the new 90210 can score some nominations…


E Online Coverage

No comments: