Tuesday, February 12, 2008

How do you Netflix Queue?



First thing first…. Who are the Jonas Brothers? Are they Hanson 2.0?

I recently went Netflix carazy and added a bunch of movies to my queue. This was mostly due to the writer’s strike finally hitting primetime, and hitting it hard. I don’t do reality so I was screwed. Ok I do some reality, but I was taking a stand. A well done scripted show can kick any reality show’s ass. Most poorly done scripted shows can do the same. But what to do for the next few months? Reading has been fun, but what if I kept the TV turned off? Would I pass on scripted TV for a novel? Would I finally read….Harry Potter?? Would I never return to TV?! I kid. Of course I would. I know eventually the strike will end bringing back all of my favorite TV shows and friends. So for now, I’m taking advantage of the strike and watching movies. Or I thought that was my new plan. The fact that my Netflix plan is 4 a month/ 2 at a time was overlooked. I suppose after viewing 4 movies and not receiving more I’d realize the kink in my plan. It’s all good because I didn’t get that far into the plan.

I made the mistake of selecting disc 1 of season two of The Closer when I really wanted season one. Ugh. I returned it and only had one rental left which would become season one disc 1. While waiting for the movie to arrive I played around with my queue. Time to bump all season 1 of The Closer to the top. And yes, I know The Closer is a TV show…I’m simply easing into this strike contingency plan. I decided to add The Red Balloon to the queue. Based on that selection I received some “you might like this” recommendations. In an attempt to make a long story short, I can only imagine my mood when I started accepting their recommendations. The list: A Mighty Heart, The Ultimate Gift, Divided We Fall, Children of Heaven, The Chorus and Nowhere in Africa. I think some of those movies have subtitles? I must’ve been on some strong allergy meds, which for me would be Claritin-D. The movies before the new ones: The TV Set, RV, Gone Baby Gone, I Could Never Be Your Woman, Fun With Dick and Jane and Once. The most random movie was The Towering Inferno. So who knows if I’ll move movies around or attempt to get through the current queue? The end of last week was the start of the next cycle and I’ve yet to upgrade to unlimited rentals. I did receive and watch “I’m Reed Fish.” It put me to sleep. I wasn’t tired. Explain that?! It was supposed to be about a small town guy whose high school sweetheart comes back to town and messes up his engagement to the current town sweetheart. Yeah yeah the story has been done before, but I’m a sucker for that plot and romantic comedies in general. However this was neither romantic nor comedic. Go figure.

Some good news….the strike appears to be coming to an end. Whoo hoo! Hopefully the writers are getting what they deserve. From what I’ve read, the strike was worth it. Voting to approve the new contract takes place today and writers might be back at work tomorrow. And then we get new episodes of some shows in April. Bring ‘em on! I’m guessing there will be a lot of clip shows appearing soon!

1 comment:

Kristen Robbins Warren said...

the first full paragraph of this made me laugh out loud. harry potter's worth it, though. i don't kid:)

and. if you taught 8th grade then you'd *totally* know who the jonas brothers are. i hear updates on their lives, proclamations of love for them and schemes on how to get to jersey to get tickets on a weekly basis.

gotta love it.