Friday, February 22, 2008

I told you you could do worse…

(That was said by Sandy Cohen to Ryan Atwood in the pilot and the season one finale)


A year ago today the last episode ever of The OC aired. I’m not going to say it doesn’t feel like a year has passed because it actually does feel like that much time has gone by. Last year I was headed to a lovely apartment to watch the finale with my gals. It was sad on many levels. We spent every Thursday night together for years and we knew that was ending. It was as though we knew for whatever reason – work, friends, life – we’d never be able to schedule time together with such ease. Watching The OC together was more than just watching a show together. It was a time to unwind, break bread and share copious amounts of Pinot and/or Chardonnay with each other. This was different from other nights because we shut out the world and welcomed the Cohens and the rest of Newport into our world. There was Thai, fresh margs, desserts, a Bailey’s run when we realized we were short on alcohol, pausing more than once for a Fresh Direct delivery (hey what better time to schedule than on a Thursday night…someone would be there!), endless bottles of Pinot, Mexican food added to the menu in season 4, tap dancing, watching but pretending to help pack skis for a vacation, squeezing 4 of us on the couch during moments when we needed to be close and no one wanted to sit alone on the chair, yelling at the screen when the show pissed us off (hello season 3 and Johnny!), crying when we were moved, smacking each other (guilty) when things were tense and it goes on and on.


And yes I know, the show wasn’t always on Thursday night. But whatever night and time FOX aired the show before the Thursday night move, well we were there for that too.


I’ve tried and tried to only pick 5 all-time favorite episodes, but can’t do it. You know like when asked which 5 movies you’d bring if on a deserted island? Well, seeing as how said deserted island doesn’t have the means to play the movies I think I can tweak the answer a bit and make the list with 23 of my can’t live without episodes. They aren’t really in favorite order. I think going through each episode each season and picking my favorites tells the story better. Feel free to disagree and keep it to yourself….I kid.


  1. The Pilot. I remember watching all of the commercials FOX aired that summer and thinking, psssht. What shit. I’m too old for teen dramas. And then I watched that summer and knew before the first commercial break that I was hooked. This show was smart, witty and had a kick ass setting.
  2. The Model Home. Marissa didn’t suck. Her problems were real and her attitude made sense. One of my all time favorite scenes will forever be Ryan, Seth and Marissa in the yard of the model home….Seth skate boarding in the empty pool, Ryan sharing a bit about his life and learning more about Seth, Marissa and the world they came from. Plus the Jimmy Cooper borrowing 100 grand from Kirsten was awesome. She just had that money….to lend. And it was HER money. This was a crazy place.
  3. The Homecoming. Kirsten can’t cook, Seth has two ladies, an absolutely hilarious kitchen fight with Caleb, Julie, Jimmy, Sandy, Kirsten, Rachel…, Fresh margs?!... I don’t feel so good. Heh. Ryan did musicals in Chino.
  4. The Secret. Luke’s big gay dad and You (Kirsten) kissed Jimmy Cooper? So much in one episode.
  5. The Best Chrismukkah Ever. The title says it all.
  6. The Heartbreak. Kirsten makes me really like Valentine’s Day. I could do without Theresa, but Ryan telling off Marissa and her bangs was wonderful. And Sandy? Sigh. He’s perfect.
  7. The Ties That Bind. You knew they’d all be together next year or umm the show is no more. But still. Can you honestly watch Kirsten break down at the end and not cry with her? Seth’s explaining his life pre Ryan to Summer. Sandy sitting with Ryan in the pool house, “I told you you could do worse.” Seth telling off Marissa at the not-the-Peach-Pit-diner, Kirsten and Ryan’s hug. Seth unable to say bye to Ryan.
  8. The Distance
  9. The Chrismukkah That Almost Wasn’t. The kitchen scene alone was worth all the Lindsay drama.
  10. The Rainy Day Women. Welcome back Sandy. It will take some time, but we’ll all forgive him. The Spiderman kiss, eh. The opening scene with the rain, Blind Melon, Ryan and Seth not wanting to get wet was one of the best openers (teasers).
  11. The Showdown. Julie Cooper’s dress when she showed up in the morning to talk to Kirsten…only Julie dressed like that and it was acceptable! Sandy and Kirsten’s kitchen scene and then the car crash. Ouch!
  12. The Dearly Beloved. Get your hands off of me! The vodka bottle crashes to the ground. All of the Sandy and Seth scenes. All were amazing. The actually not cheesy intervention (I hadn’t seen or cried at one since Party of Five)….Cringing when Kirsten told Ryan, “I let you into this house.” Ryan responds – “Yeah you did because my own mom couldn’t take care of me. Because she wouldn’t get help even though I asked her to. I don’t want to see that happen again to someone I love.” And then Seth makes Kirsten break down. Rip my heart out. And we still had the shooting. That scene alone kept the roomies and me up all night…is he dead??? No the blood fell this way not that way. We were so CSI that night. And we don’t watch CSI. It was so intense we couldn’t even sleep. But we did. It was a long summer.


I’m not going to say anything for most of the season 3 episodes. Most were not good. Lots of anger was unleashed from us gals. What happened to Kirsten? She was a favorite and so very strong in season one and two and then gone and zombie like in season 3? Charlotte? The fruck? Marissa was never believable. Johnny should’ve died after his first episode. Free Marissa? Please, Donna Martina Graduates was way better. Way. Adam Brody obviously didn’t want to be a part of the show anymore. Could you blame him? I’d phone in my acting, too. Volchock? Ugh. Sandy and the Newport Group? All of those scenes… Bullshit. How about some Sandy and Kirsten from season one? Would’ve been nice to bring that back. We were forgiving you for Rebecca and Carter and you deliver that couple in season 3? Unacceptable. Thank God the last 2 episodes dealt with that. If forced to pick some season three I’d pick:

13. The End of Innocence

14. The Pot Stirrer

15. The Dawn Patrol

16. The Man of the Year

17. The Graduates


Then came season four. Sadly, I don’t share the love for the season like others do. I didn’t hate it, but it still wasn’t season 1. The Cohens should’ve had more time together. Some kitchen scenes and mornings with the paper, coffee, bagels and witty banter. Kirsten was still pushed to the side. I did love all of the Julie and Kaitlin stuff. Who knew Little Coop was going to be so awesome? Taylor was great but got to be too much. I still wouldn’t give up those episodes. I’m glad we have the 16 of them. Just wish Frank didn’t play a part in them and then waste so much time on Frank/Bullit/Julie. Frank never made sense based on what we were always told about him and Julie could’ve had better stuff to deal with. The Case of the Two Franks? Ugh. That being said, it’s easier to actually find some episodes I can watch over and over again unlike the previous season. Although unlike season one favorites, most of the season 4 episodes have great parts but as a whole the episode isn’t perfect like season one.

18. The Avengers

19. The Gringos

20. The Cold Turkey. Kirsten had an important part! And the homeless showing up was pretty funny. Then the Ryan and Julie scene. Still makes me cry when I watch it.

21. The My Two Dads. Ryan calling Sandy his dad? Who doesn’t feel their heart smile when watching that? The end scene…Cohen family time on the couch watching meerkats because that’s what Kirsten wanted to watch. I love the Cohens. Even the stupid Seth and Summer wedding crap can’t ruin the episode.

22. The Night Moves

23. The End’s Not Near, It’s Here. Truth? Hated it. Hated. We all did. Later that night I re-watched it and finally cried and cried. The last maybe 15 minutes are wonderful. That’s what the episode should’ve been. About the Cohens and Ryan. I’ve re-watched that ending a handful of times. I still haven’t watched the Josh commentary. Just can’t bring myself to do it yet. Maybe this weekend I’ll do that. I never like when a family moves in a show. I want to know they are where they have always been so moving to Berkley and leaving that beautiful home was sad. And will always be sad. I just wanted them to close the door and somehow end it that way. But they didn’t. All of that Julie wedding/ Bullit and his sons/ Frank crap was not needed. They just needed the Cohens, Ryan and Coopers. But now I’m repeating myself. Way to go not showing Kirsten’s future when you showed everyone else’s! I just assume she opened that little art studio they mentioned in season one.


I will one day sit down and watch all of season four again. Perhaps I will appreciate it more. Maybe I won’t be so harsh when viewed a few years later. I’ll let you know when that happens.


I don’t know if anyone is still reading? But you must’ve been a fan too if you made it this far. Feel free to share your thoughts. And thanks to Josh, Stephanie, the cast and crew for such an awesome show. The first spec script I wrote was of The OC. And that’s because the characters were so fresh and real I could get into their heads. They were original and had such depth to them. Getting to play around with them for a while made me realize that’s the kind of story I want to tell. Almost forgot, the music, including the season one score which returned in the series finale, was always perfect.


I can only hope that one day someone feels that way about a show I write for. I got to meet Josh once at the Tribeca Film Festival. Even have a picture with him which is framed. Yes, I’d stalk him if not for the 3,000 miles separating us! I got to tell him I love the show, but that was pretty much it. I was almost speechless. He was really cool and not even rushing me, but I just couldn’t think of anything else to say. That’s obviously not me under normal circumstances. Hopefully one day I get to sit down and talk with him. Pick his brain about the show. As if he doesn’t get that enough.


Final exchange between Seth and Ryan - “At least I leave you funnier than when I found you,” Seth says. “I’m a lot better off than when you found me,” Ryan says. “Me too,” Seth says. Aren’t we all better off, Seth? Aren’t we all?


And one more thing…we used to all watch the show together during lunch at work. Those memories are just as important and I cherish them--Friday lunches in the conference room, assigned seating, ordering Italian or Thai, even the occasional breakfast viewing (and I hate getting up early let alone arriving that early to work!), the special cakes, cookies and parties and the list goes on. We’ve yet to find a show to take The OC’s place. We’ve tried but nothing has that great mix of humor and drama. I suppose I’ll just have to go and create it!



1 comment:

Kristen Robbins Warren said...

this made my sunday morning. sigh. i miss those days. thinking about them in retrospect in your writing makes them seem so poetic. they were. they were.

i watched some season one last night. those were the days.