Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Quarterlife, eh

I watched parts 1-9 of Quarterlife online and didn't hate it. I watched it's premiere on NBC last night and was doing something else at the same time (Sudoku, like always) so I wasn't totally paying attention. Now I've watched it for a third time and have some real opinions. The third and final viewing of the first TV episode was watched at work with the co-workers during lunch. We are a witty, attractive bunch and love to snark on pop culture, TV, music, etc. We also really appreciate a good show. However, a bad show leads to some hilarious lunches! Today was quite funny. Which means you've probably already guessed how I feel about the show? If you can't figure it out you should really watch some Murder She Wrote and Columbo reruns.

Here goes:
1. They are very self involved. One or two like that in a group might be acceptable, but all of them?
2. They like to say "I am in love with.." Is this elementary school? You like a boy and immediately you LOVE him? Is Jeb going to pull Debra's hair in Sunday's episode?
3. Dylan is a writer and therefore must tell the truth and be all honest. She's saying horrible things about her friends, putting videos of them on the net...how does that make her a writer? She's mean. That's what she is.
4. They are trying so hard to be deep that they are annoying. What is happiness? Maybe this was supposed to be funny (although probably not), but they are so depressing it comes across funny in a bad way and I want to throw things at the television set.
5. Oddly enough, I didn't want to throw things at the computer when I watched the same part or scene referenced above online. I think when I watched it online I didn't expect as much. Sad to say but the quality level was lowered. A lot. I didn't realize that until the transition to TV.
6. Debra needs a brush. Dylan needs to shop for work clothes.
7. Why must Debra make out with boyfriend Danny in front of Jeb when she knows how Jeb feels about her yet claims she is ok with how he feels? Then in the karaoke scene she's between both guys and leans her face against Jeb's shoulder? Mixed signals much? I actually think they are all so self absorbed they probably don't mean to hurt each other but will they ever realize they are hurting each other? How are they all friends??

Ugh. I suppose that's enough. It just is what it is. Maybe it should be left on the internet (based on the ratings that's likely to happen and fast). On my TV screen I expect more from Zwick and Herskovitz - I expect Once & Again, My So Called Life and so on and so on. I give them credit for creating something new and doing so on the internet. I only wish they did it better.

Seriously though, why video blog about your friends like that?? If you wouldn't say it to your friend's face then don't say it in an email (it's never going to come across right), don't say it in a blog and don't don't don't say it via video blog.

That is all.

No... one more thing...to the sibling who knocked my scarf down the stairs and didn't pick it up and almost made me miss my train because I had to run around looking for said scarf...I know where you sleep. Remember that.

1 comment:

Kristen Robbins Warren said...

interesting insight. i tried to watch the episode after seeing them all online, and was unamused and didn't make it past the first ten minutes. which is maybe why they originally put them out in 8 minute clips. good call on the dylan work clothes.